Information about the 5th Arrondissement of Paris
The 5th arrondissement of Paris is one of the 20 arrondissements (administrative districts) of the capital city of France.
Situated on the left bank of the River Seine, it is one of the central arrondissements of the capital. The arrondissement is notable for being the location of the Quartier Latin, a district dominated by universities, colleges, and prestigious high schools.
The 5th arrondissement is also one of the oldest districts of the city, dating back to ancient times. Traces of the area’s past survive in such sites as the Arènes de Lutèce, a Roman amphitheatre, and the Thermes de Cluny, a Roman thermae.
The 5th Arrondissement of Paris is one of the best known of the city’s central districts, located on the Left Bank (Rive Gauche) of the river Seine. Also commonly known as the “Latin Quarter” (le quartier Latin) because the first great Parisian university, the Sorbonne, was founded (and can be still be found) here and Latin was the language the medieval period students used once to speak. The 5th was also the core of ancient Gallo-Roman Paris, as revealed in a number of otherwise rare archaeological remains that can be seen within the district.
The area still has a significant student presence, with several universities and schools of higher education being located in the area. However, due to gentrification, most student and faculty have been forced to more affordable areas such as the 13th.
Places of interest
- Arenes de Lutece
- Bibliotheque Sainte Genevieve
- Centre de la Mer et des Eaux
- Fontaine St Michel
- Institut du Monde Arabe (Arab World Institute)
- Jardin des Plantes and the Musee National d’Histoire Naturelle
- Maison de la Mutualite
- Montagne Sainte Genevieve
- Musee de Cluny (Musee National du Moyen Age)
- Musee Curie
- Musee des Collections Historiques de la Prefecture de Police
- Musee de la Sculpture en Plein Air
- The Pantheon
- Quartier Latin
- Val de Grace military hospital (Text Source :Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia)
You may see the 5th arrondissement Paris restaurants “here” !